Backpacking or camping is a passion for many but a horrible sleeping experience during the trip can be truly upsetting. Travelling is fun when it is comfortable and when you do not have to deal with neck pains and back pains from improper sleeping. This Guide for the Best Camping Pillow will surely help you finding the perfect choice.
It is not possible to afford or find luxurious hotel rooms or beds while camping, but that should not pose any hindrance in the way to comfortable sleep. If you have faced neck pains and other troubles while sleeping on your previous camping trips, or if you have a recent one coming up soon, a good camping pillow is all you need to have.
A good camping pillow can provide you with proper and comfortable sleep at night even when the camp doesn’t have a really comfortable environment to sleep in. You can take them for weekend trips or even long camping trips to secure your comfort anywhere and everywhere. So even if you are not sleeping in your own bed at night, you will feel as if you are enjoying the same comfort.
Read this guide to know all about the best camping pillows you need for a fine camping trip and also take a look at the things you need to know before selecting the best pillow. Select only the best pillow to be able to sleep in peace all night no matter where you go.
Table of Contents
TOP 7 BEST CAMPING PILLOWS
|Nemo Fillo Pillow||• Weight: 1.92 Ounces|
• Color: Nimbus Grey
• Dimensions: 20 x 11 x 4 inches
|Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow||• Weight: 15 ounces|
• Fabric Type: Polyester
• Dimensions: 18 x 14 x 7 inches
|Sea to Summit Aeros||• Weight: 2.80 ounces|
• Color: Grey / Green
• Material: Brushed 50D Polyester
|Teton Sports Comfortlite||• Weight: 12 ounces|
• Color: Orange/Microfiber
• Fill: Open-Cell Foam
|Your Pillow by Sho||• Weight: 9.88 Ounces|
• Color: Multicolored
• Fill Material: Polyester
|ONWEGO Inflatable Pillow||• Weight: 10.5 Ounces|
• Color: Black
• Dimensions: 20 x 12 x 5.5 inches
|InstantCamp Air-Light Pillow||• Weight: 2.4 Ounces|
• Material: 40D Nylon
• Dimensions: 18 x 10.75 x 5.5 inches
Things to Consider before buying a Camping Pillow
Buying a camping pillow may sound like a very easy task but it is not that as easy as you may think. Buying a pillow for a camping trip has several factors that need to be considered in order to have a comfortable sleeping experience. An intelligent shopper always looks into several details of a product and keeps several factors in mind while shopping. Here are the things to look into while going to buy a camping pillow.
4 Things to Consider
when you are buying a camping pillow for your personal comfort during a camping or backpacking trip, comfort is the first thing you must consider. To increase your comfort during sleep, you must have a pillow that provides softness and support and makes you feel comfortable. Pillows often have foam filler that provides excellent support and comfort irrespective of the area you are camping in.
in case you frequently suffer from neck problems and back problems, your pillow should cushion you with ample support to eliminate such problems. Pains may increase during uncomfortable camping trips due to improper sleeping that fails to give support to the neck and backbone. Choose ergonomic pillows that are meant to alleviate such pains and give you relief at the end of a tiring day. Some pillows have viscoelastic memory foam which provide orthopedic support and reduce all kinds of pains and tension.
It is rare to find any natural fabric for camping pillows. Choose comfortable and durable synthetic materials that are good for the long run and also resistant to fire. The more durable the material, the better for you as it will last long for years and go through a lot of trips. Invest once in a good pillow and take it along for all your adventures for years to come.
Last but not the least, you need to take care whether the camping pillow would be easy to pack and use as and when needed. Pillows already filled with memory foam take up much space in your travel kit and may be difficult to carry. On the other hand, inflatable camping pillows take much less space in the luggage and can be easily carried along. These are compact but need to be inflated before using. They also reduce the weight of the luggage. You can do it in a minute and get ready to rest whenever you need it. Compressible pillows too are very useful as they can be compressed with other stuff to make space for everything. These options are more convenient when there is a space crunch in your luggage.
Reviews of some of the Top Choices you could go with
1. Nemo Fillo Pillow
- Weight: 1.92 Ounces
- Color: Nimbus Grey
- Dimensions: 20 x 11 x 4 inches
- Machine Washable
The Nemo Fillo camping pillow is one that can provide good competition to all other inflatable and compressible camping pillows. It is a hybrid design with the best of both and scores high on versatility.
It packs into a small size like an inflatable pillow but gives immense comfort and support like the compressible ones.
So if you are looking for a great camping pillow that will increase the level of comfort on your tours, this is just the one to have. Take it along on any tour or camping trip and feel like you are sleeping in your home every night.
- The design of the pillow has been made with a lot of thought and consideration. There is a baffled inflated sack topped by a layer of soft, memory foam. The entire structure is held together by a mesh net to create a strong, sturdy and yet comfortable camping pillow.
- The pillow can easily be packed like an inflatable one and fit into any backpack for travelling needs. The huge pillow compresses into a very small size when packed and this is definitely praiseworthy. In this respect it is quite travel-friendly.
- The outer cover of microseude and polyester increases the comfort level even more.
- It does not slide off during sleep and keeps your head in one place.
- It is very easy to wash and clean the pillow. You just need to remove its outer shell and wash it in the machine.
2. Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow
- Weight: 15 ounces
- Color: Available in 11 different colors
- Fabric Type: Polyester
- Dimensions: 18 x 14 x 7 inches
If you need a minute pillow that fits into the backpack easily and gives you comfort and support during the sleep on any long tour, the Therm-a-Rest compressible pillow sounds like a good option as per popular reviews of the product.
It is specially designed keeping in mind the requirements of travelers and scores high on several points. This one can definitely be bought for your backpacking and camping trips to provide you immense comfort on the go.
The colorful demeanor of the pillow gives another reason why this pillow is definitely one to be bought.
- In its large state it measures about Large: 16 Inch X 23 Inch but when it is compressed, it reduces to 12 Inch X 16 Inch. The compressible foam inside the pillow allows it to be compressed well to fit into any bag along with other items. Just press it down with other items and see how it fits well inside the bag.
- It weighs just 9.5 oz, which makes it very light to be carried along. You do not have to face the trouble of carrying a heavy thing in your backpack.
- The brushed polyester on the exterior makes it soft and smooth while the urethane foam on the inside increases the level of comfort. The foam filling gives support to your head and neck while the polyester cover on the outside makes you have the comfort on sleeping on a soft and smooth surface.
- Overall, this product is quite handy and convenient for long tours.
3. Sea to Summit Aeros
- Weight: 2.80 ounces
- Color: Grey / Green
- Material: Brushed 50D Polyester
- Dimensions: 14 x 10 x 5 inches
If you are a traveler and love to go for backpacking quite frequently, this Sea to Summit Aeros pillow is a must have in your bag.
The packed size of the pillow is really small and can fit into any backpack without making a difference. The really lightweight and compact design makes it one of the best pillows for backpacking. Just take it along for all your weekend trips or extended backpacking tours and sleep anywhere comfortably.
Even if you are sleeping on a chair, this pillow can increase your comfort and keep you away from uncomfortable sleep and its companion body aches.
- It is the smallest camping pillow available when packed. The Packed Size is just ø7 x 8.5cm while the inflated size is 34 x 24 x 11cm. This implies that it gives you enough space to sleep comfortably while at the same time saving space for all your other items in the backpack while on the move.
- It weighs just 79 grams which makes it an extremely lightweight pillow for all your needs.
- There are multifunctional air valves to inflate the pillow easily in a minute when needed.
- The design of the pillow has a scalloped bottom, which comforts and supports your neck and shoulders while you are sleeping on any surface.
- This not only reduces chances of body ache but also gives you sound sleep all night in any environment.
- The brushed 50D polyester material is very durable and soft too.
4. Teton Sports Comfortlite
- Weight: 12 ounces
- Color: Orange/Microfiber
- Fill: Open-Cell Foam
- Dimensions: 18 x 10 x 4 inches
This Teton Sports Comfortlite camping pillow is a wonderful choice because of the convenience offered and the sturdy design.
There isn’t anything great or unique about the pillow; this is just a standard camping pillow but its design and material makes it definitely a very good choice. If you are choosing this one, you are making the right choice as it will give you great performance and support no matter where you are off to.
This is another self-inflatable pillow that can be easily inflated in a minute without any struggle and provide you the best sleeping experience on your camping trips. At the end of the day just inflate the pillow and feel as if you are enjoying a comfortable sleep in your own bed.
- The pillow is self inflatable. The air valves can be twisted to let the pillow inflate and deflate on its own. This consumes very less time and saves your energy.
- Since it is an inflatable pillow, you can roll it and fit it in any bag. This makes it quite travel friendly.
- The pillow is made of ComfortTech™ stretch microfiber, which makes it soft and comfortable and also takes care of your neck pains.
- The pillow comes with a lifetime warranty and therefore you can get it fixed easily in case of any problem.
5. Your Pillow by Sho
- Weight: 9.88 Ounces
- Color: Multicolored
- Fill Material: Polyester
- Dimensions: 19.69 x 11.81 x 3.94 inches
This unique pillow from Sho is a great choice because of its color and design.
This inflatable pillow has a very colorful design, which can take care of your stylish needs. It is an inflatable pillow that can be easily tucked into the backpack and inflated when needed to have the most comfortable sleep on any camping trip.
- The unique colorful design makes it stand out from the rest in the market. Camping pillows are usually in monochrome but this one is definitely different to say the least.
- The design of the pillow is self inflatable. You can twist the air valve lock to let it inflate on its own. This takes very less time and is perfect for camping needs.
- It can also be easily deflated and rolled into the bag to be carried around. It takes up very less space in the luggage and this makes it convenient.
- The highest quality materials give you the most comfortable sleeping experience. This will also take care of your neck aches and give you a homely feeling.
- The camping pillow also comes with a lifetime warranty for the customers.
6. ONWEGO Inflatable Pillow
- Weight: 10.5 Ounces
- Color: Black
- Fill Material: Air & Foam
- Dimensions: 20 x 12 x 5.5 inches
If you are looking for a simple pillow that can provide the best kind of comfort during travel by road or air, choose the ONWEGO inflatable pillow.
As per popular reviews, this is quite suited for outdoor use and can make you feel comfortable in any environment and give you proper, peaceful and comfortable sleep at night. It looks like a black pillow that can be easily inflated and deflated as and when needed.
- To take care of your travel needs, the design of the camping pillow has been made in such a way that it fits perfectly into your backpack. It can be easily rolled comfortably into the travel sack.
- It is 5.5 inches X 6 inches when deflated and measures about 20 X 12 inches when inflated.
- It weighs just 10.5 oz and this makes it light enough to be carried in a backpack without increasing the burden.
- The pillow ranks high on the comfort level. It has a plush foam interior and the outside material too is soft and smooth enough for sleep. This definitely makes way for superb comfort.
- The pillow is contoured specially to cradle the head and support the neck and there is no hollow feel at all. This not only increases your comfort but also eliminates chances of neck pain from bad sleep.
- It is very easy to inflate the pillow and it can be done in a few seconds without any trouble. All you need to do is twist the safety lock air valve and let the pillow inflate on its own. When you need to deflate it, just open the valve and keep rolling it towards the opening of the valve.
- The material and design of the pillow is slip resistant to increase the comfort and prevent it from slipping while you sleep.
7. InstantCamp Air-Light Pillow
If you are looking for an extra light pillow since your luggage is going to be heavy and you seriously do not want to increase the luggage any further, this InstantCamp Air-Light pillow is the lightest you can get in the market.
You do not have to compromise on any stuff in your backpack now to make way for a camping pillow. People love the compact and handy design and some even feel this is one of the best pillows for travelling.
This is a unique choice because of its extremely lightweight feature. You can easily carry it along without increasing the weight of your luggage by a bit. So set out for your cross country motorcycle trips or camping expeditions without being burdened by a huge, bulky backpack.
- It weighs just about 0.15 pounds
- The fill material is air and instead of foam and this is what makes it compact and superlight. It does not eat up a lot of space unlike the foam pillows and also reduces the weight of the total luggage.
- The material type is nylon, which is good enough for camping. The 40D lightweight, durable nylon is all you need in a camping pillow that you want to run for long.
- The pillow is just 5.5 x 10.75 x 18 inches in size and thus it is one of the smallest camping pillows available.
- Midpoints increase your comfort and extend support to your neck during sleep.
- In spite of being lightweight, the camping pillow is strong and sturdy and very durable.
- The overall design is very handy and user friendly.
FAQs about the Camping Pillow
1. How Do I Care for my Camping Pillow?
• A camping pillow is a very comfortable item to have on your trips but you must also understand that to make your pillow run for long and keep it ready for any trip at any time, you need to take proper care of the pillow.
• Always clean and wash your pillows after you come back from a trip. This keeps them clean and free of dirt and germs accumulated from the trip. You also need to take care whether the material of your pillow can be machine washed or should it be hand washed. Take care of it accordingly and it will be in perfect condition for years.
2. What are the differences between normal and camping pillow?
• A normal pillow is the one that you have at home to sleep on the bed. These come in various sizes and are bulky. On the other hand, camping pillows are small and compact, and mostly inflatable, meant to be used only for travel purposes.
• Normal pillows are the most comfortable but since they are difficult to be carried along, it is more convenient to use camping pillows as they reduce the size of the luggage and can be used anytime.
3. How do I hand wash my camping pillow?
• Firstly, you should check whether your pillow is meant to be hand washed or machine washed. The label that is there on the pillow will give you the necessary instructions. To hand wash the camping pillow, wet a cloth or rag and put some mild detergent on it. Rub gently on the material of the pillow to clean it completely.
• Use another wet cloth without soap to clean up the entire fabric. Hand it out in the sun to dry completely.
4. How do I machine-wash my camping pillow?
• If you can wash your camping pillow in the washing machine then you should put it in with a mild detergent and wash it in cold water. After washing, pass it on to the dryer and run it through low heat. If your pillow is not meant to be machine dried, simply hang it on a line outside and let it dry naturally.
5. Are camping pillows allergic?
• No, there aren’t any threats posed by camping pillows as such. They do not increase your allergies. Choose only the best-reviewed products if you suffer from any specific allergy problem.
Check out some of the Top Guides about Camping :